Thursday, April 14, 2011

Germany - Day Six

Germany - Day Six
April 11, 2011

It was nice to have a day to sleep in. This was a day of free travel and many students took full advantage of it. We had a group that left for Prague yesterday and also the McLaughglins and a couple of students went to visit friends on a military base not far away. We had e rest of the group. Some went hiking, Cliff went to Vienna, some went in to Salzburg to shop, and a good portion of those left stayed and studied, feeling the time pressure of one week of classes with finals and papers and projects. Becky was one of those students and she watched after Jon Michael this afternoon while I treated myself to the Sound of Music tour in Salzburg. I was joined by two of the students and we had a lovely afternoon visiting all the sites in the movie. I loved every minute of it. Before I left, my folks gave me some money just for things I normally wouldn't splurge on myself for. this gift has bought this tour, a concert and autographed cd by the violinist, some jewelry and a few other things I probably wouldn't have bought for myself otherwise. I appreciate both thhe money and the loan of my Dad's great camera that he uses to take weddings with. I'm getting pictures I never would have gotten with my little camera. 

It was a wonderful day and I smiled all day just enjoying the lovely countryside, the interesting stories about the country and the filming of the movie, and the great company. It was a bit strange to go from the enormous gravity of Dachau yesterday to the light and fun emotions of the Sound of Music tour today. But life is like that. Emotions and circumstances can change on a dime. I'm just glad I get the chance to experience it all. Bed comes soon tonight since we leave for Berlin at 4:30 am! Back to Verviers on Wednesday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment